Addiction to anything can be hard to break away from but this is especially true for substance abuse. Alcohol addiction can affect anyone, of any age, gender, social class or race. It is estimated by the Centres for Disease Control (CDC) that six people every day die from alcohol poisoning. Further research conducted by the CDC shows that alcoholism is responsible for thirty percent of alcohol poisoning fatalities. This can be incredibly worrying not only for the alcoholic but also for their family and friends, thus impacting negatively on their daily lives.
Alcoholics cannot see reason past their impulses and their cravings for alcohol. Without help, it can be extremely difficult – if not impossible – for an individual to cure their addiction. That is why it is always highly recommended to seek professional help through an alcohol rehabilitation centre. A professional rehab clinic will be able to help any degree of alcoholism, whether it is binge drinking, heavy drinking or just chronic drinking. They exist to help anyone with any variant of alcoholism.
There are many benefits to seeking help at an alcoholic rehabilitation centre:
- Family Support: Many rehab centres understand that an emotional support network is vital for an addict’s recovery. For the vast majority of people, their main emotional support is derived from their families. This means that many rehab clinics will encompass this into their programmes. In most cases, the family of an addict will be taught about how to best support the alcoholism and how to help aid their recovery. They are also educated more about the disease of addiction and what to expect going forward.
- Safety: Often, while under the influence of alcoholism, those afflicted can become a danger to themselves and others. To best take care of their physical needs, rehabilitation centres are fully equipped with competent staff to look after anyone who might hurt themselves or those around them. A centre designed specifically for the personal safety of alcoholics and staff members are the best place for someone to recover from addiction, without fear of harm.
- Counsellors: A huge benefit to attending a rehab clinic is the mental support provided there. Addiction is also a physiological problem as well as a physical one after all. The counsellors available at rehab will be specially trained in the ways of addiction and will be fully equipped to help guide an individual through the root problems of their addiction. This guidance is invaluable to an alcoholic’s recovery process.
- Zero Tolerance: Alcohol is strictly prohibited in rehabilitation centres for obvious reasons. Naturally means that there is absolutely no chance of indulging in their addiction and relapsing. This aids the recovery process massively.
- Learning: Many people who are addicted to alcohol often do not know much about their illness. Attending a rehab facility means they can really understand the ramifications, health concerns and recovery process regarding alcoholism. They can also learn how to better themselves and how to avoid relapsing.
- Privacy and confidentiality: For most, learning how to become clean during a bout of alcoholism is something that they want to keep private. (Something that can also help them to recover). Understandably, it is something that most patients will want to keep to themselves. The staff at any rehabilitation centre is duty bound to keep any and all information about their patients confidential – the information is safe in the hands of the counsellors.
- Aftercare: The last huge benefit to staying at a rehab clinic is the aftercare process. Addicts do not leave the clinics completely cured. The staff at the clinic provide great aftercare programmes to provide ongoing support for their patients after they have left the clinic.